The imposing Evergreen Plantation in Edgard is widely acknowledged to be the most intact antebellum agricultural complex in the south. Evergreen Plantation comprises 37 buildings that have been recognized by the National Register of Historic Places. From the grand mansion to the 22 slaves’ quarters, Evergreen presents a wide-ranging look at the complexities of such a huge agricultural enterprise.
The Frogmore Plantation near Ferriday presents a unique comparison between the site’s original 19th century cotton plantation and gin, and the modern 1800-acre cotton plantation that operates there today. With painstakingly restored slave cabins and a walk-through tour of a rare steam gin, Frogmore is one of the most intensive and accurate historical tours in the south. Visitors are invited to pick cotton and listen to live performances of authentic slave songs.
No plantation tour is complete until you’ve seen the Nottoway Plantation on the famous River Road. Nottoway is the largest remaining antebellum mansion in all of the South. The mansion has been stunningly restored and is often the backdrop for weddings. If you find yourself wanting to linger, make a reservation to stay the night. The Nottoway now doubles as a highly-rated resort complete with a salon, fine dining options and special events like murder mystery dinners.
Are You Moving to Baton Rouge?
Call us at 225-663-2015 or get in touch with us online to tell us what you’re looking for and we’ll start a custom search right away.
You can also check out our listings for Baton Rouge here:
- Single family homes for sale in Baton Rouge
- Condos for sale in Baton Rouge
- Luxury homes for sale in Baton Rouge
- Golf course homes for sale in Baton Rouge
- Waterfront homes for sale in Baton Rouge
- Baton Rouge homes with a pool
Want to search by price? Use these links instead:
- Baton Rouge homes for sale under $100,000
- Baton Rouge homes for sale between $100,000 and $200,000
- Baton Rouge homes for sale between $200,000 and $300,000
- Baton Rouge homes for sale between $300,000 and $400,000
- Baton Rouge homes for sale between $400,000 and $500,000
- Baton Rouge homes for sale between $500,000 and $600,000
- Baton Rouge homes for sale between $600,000 and $700,000
- Baton Rouge homes for sale between $700,000 and $800,000
- Baton Rouge homes for sale between $800,000 and $900,000
- Baton Rouge homes for sale between $900,000 and $1,000,000
- Baton Rouge homes for sale over $1 million