Baton Rouge is home to many historic residences. One of its oldest and most rare is Magnolia Mound Plantation.
Originally built circa 1791 as a small settler’s house, the main dwelling of the plantation was renovated and expanded from 1802-1805 to become the crown jewel of a 900-acre plantation. The renovation added accents like a unique cove ceiling and Federal-style woodwork.
The estate’s colonial-era furniture and decor are considered some of the foremost public groups of Louisiana-made objects, while French furnishings indicate the plantation owner’s ties with family in his native country.
Around the same period that Magnolia Mound Plantation experienced its grand renovation, another, less stately, style of home was birthed in the city of New Orleans: the shotgun house.
According to New Orleans architectural historian Samuel Wilson, the shotgun house, a narrow, rectangular home, originated in the Creole suburbs of The Big Easy during the 1800s. However, folklorist and Professor John Michael Vlach challenges that finding, and suggests that the building style traces back to 18th-century Haiti and Africa.
Wilson believes that “shotgun” is a nod to the idea that if the front and back doors of the house were open, the bullet of a shotgun fired from the front door would fly unobstructed through the backdoor.
During the 1930s, the shotgun boomed in New Orleans. However, shotgun communities and many others were decimated or left in an extreme state of disrepair in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina in 2005 which left 80 percent of New Orleans flooded for weeks and cost $108 billion in damage.
Over the past several years, though, shotgun homes have rebounded as many homebuilders and enthusiasts build new communities and restore dilapidated homes.
Are You Moving to Baton Rouge?
Call us at 225-663-2015 or get in touch with us online to tell us what you’re looking for and we’ll start a custom search right away.
You can also check out our listings for Baton Rouge here:
- Single family homes for sale in Baton Rouge
- Condos for sale in Baton Rouge
- Luxury homes for sale in Baton Rouge
- Golf course homes for sale in Baton Rouge
- Waterfront homes for sale in Baton Rouge
- Baton Rouge homes with a pool
Want to search by price? Use these links instead:
- Baton Rouge homes for sale under $100,000
- Baton Rouge homes for sale between $100,000 and $200,000
- Baton Rouge homes for sale between $200,000 and $300,000
- Baton Rouge homes for sale between $300,000 and $400,000
- Baton Rouge homes for sale between $400,000 and $500,000
- Baton Rouge homes for sale between $500,000 and $600,000
- Baton Rouge homes for sale between $600,000 and $700,000
- Baton Rouge homes for sale between $700,000 and $800,000
- Baton Rouge homes for sale between $800,000 and $900,000
- Baton Rouge homes for sale between $900,000 and $1,000,000
- Baton Rouge homes for sale over $1 million