Louisiana’s capital city is rich with culture. Here are a few places that can add a little zest and history to your life.
Red Stick Farmers Market
Everyone wants fresh produce. They can get just that at Red Stick Farmers Market. Open on Thursdays and Saturdays in various parts of town, these open-air markets offer foods that are grown by local farmers. During peak seasons, fresh, local produce is even more readily available as there may be as many as seven markets open in different parts of Baton Rouge. About 50 farmers are members of the market, and offer fresh fruits and vegetables, cheese, milk, herbs, seafood, meats, homemade pies, pickles, and jams.
Baton Rouge Zoo
The kids will have a ball at Baton Rouge Zoo, which is home to more than 1,800 animals from around the globe. Visitors can see reptiles, amphibians, mammals, fish, and birds, to name a few. The zoo features an Otter Pond which is a replica of a cabin where guests can spy on otters as they swim underwater. Baton Rouge zoo also features a walk-through aviary called the Parrot Paradise. Along with showcasing beautiful animals, the zoo is involved in survival and reintroduction programs. It also has education programs for children.
Louisiana Art & Science Museum
This museum brings together the best of art and science, and consists of art galleries with both permanent and revolving exhibits, science galleries, and a planetarium. An Ancient Egypt Gallery showcases artifacts and an extraordinary mummy. The Irene W. Pennington Planetarium presents sky shows, films, and music shows. The museum also hosts educational programs, including classes, lectures, and workshops.
The Old Governor’s Mansion
Take a trip back in time at the Old Governor’s Mansion, which was home to Louisiana governors from 1930-1963. The mansion was built during the administration of Gov. Huey Long. After its use as a residence, it was home to the Louisiana Arts and Science Center Museum until it was reopened as an historic house museum in 1978.
Are You Moving to Baton Rouge?
Call us at 225-663-2015 or get in touch with us online to tell us what you’re looking for and we’ll start a custom search right away.
You can also check out our listings for Baton Rouge here:
- Single family homes for sale in Baton Rouge
- Condos for sale in Baton Rouge
- Luxury homes for sale in Baton Rouge
- Golf course homes for sale in Baton Rouge
- Waterfront homes for sale in Baton Rouge
- Baton Rouge homes with a pool
Want to search by price? Use these links instead:
- Baton Rouge homes for sale under $100,000
- Baton Rouge homes for sale between $100,000 and $200,000
- Baton Rouge homes for sale between $200,000 and $300,000
- Baton Rouge homes for sale between $300,000 and $400,000
- Baton Rouge homes for sale between $400,000 and $500,000
- Baton Rouge homes for sale between $500,000 and $600,000
- Baton Rouge homes for sale between $600,000 and $700,000
- Baton Rouge homes for sale between $700,000 and $800,000
- Baton Rouge homes for sale between $800,000 and $900,000
- Baton Rouge homes for sale between $900,000 and $1,000,000
- Baton Rouge homes for sale over $1 million